Spiritual Practices: Seven Refuges
By Wayne Sebamurti
Presented by Omni-U Virtual University
Everyone -without exception- will experience difficult times, hardships, failures, trials and tribulations. And, at some point in time- in various degrees- tension and stress will arise in our efforts to manage through what can seem to be unsurmountable problems. If levels of tension and stress reach a point where they become intolerable, we will inevitably turn toward something to provide us with some relief and to give us strength to endure. In these moments, there are Seven Refuges to which we should turn and embrace, to give us strength and release us from our suffering:
1. God - the Almighty Creator and Source of our very Being; That which sustains our very lives. I take refuge in God.
2. Ancestors - Our beloved, wise, and resilient ancestors who withstood and survived the most horrific experience ever perpetrated on a race of people- the Maafa. I take refuge in my ancestors.
3. The Teacher/Guru - the wise and compassionate spiritual advisor and guide who has shed light in the dark corners of our mind and helped us to find clarity and understanding; who removed doubt and confusion, and enabled us to stand tall in the face of adversity, conflict and controversy. The one(s) who taught us to always speak the truth, do justice and walk in the way of righteousness. I take refuge in my Teacher/Guru.
4. The Teachings - the insightful and liberating scriptures composed from words and deeds uttered and performed by the sages and Seers whose life was/is a living demonstration of God- Realized Beings. I take refuge in the Teachings.
5. Sangat/Spiritual Community - the like- minded individuals with whom we share a common interest in the quest for God- Realization. The community of seekers of truth within whom we rely for support, care and understanding during difficult times of struggle and adversity. I take refuge in the Sangat(Spiritual Community).
6. Meditation - bringing stillness and silence to our body and mind through the practice of meditation so that the light of God within, can shine bright enough to remove the darkness of ignorance and thus we become enlightened, liberated and free in this lifetime for the sake of all beings. I take refuge in Meditation.
7. Prayer - humbly submitting to a higher power for intervention and guidance in the affairs of our life(ves) and in others, asking for wholesome well- being, solemnity and uplifting as we prepare ouself(ves( to receive that which we have asked for in prayer, both for ourself(ves) and for others. I take refuge in Prayer.
Embrace these powerful Refuges and leave all worry behind.
"Maafa" , a term which means the "Great Tragedy," or "African Holocaust," is primarily associated with the Middle Passage of the "Atlantic Slave Trade" in which the "forces that divided us" disrupted our culture, i.e. our way of life.
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. I Am That: Talks With Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj.
Stephen H. Wolinsky.
I Am That I Am: A Tribute to Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj.
Bhagavad Gita. Introduced and translated by Eknath Esawaran.
Swami Dayananda. The Teachings of the Bhagvadad Gita.
Thich Nhat Hanh. The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice.
-"The Miracle of Mindfulness "
-A Guide to Walking Meditation:
The Three Refuges | Plum Village
Ancestor Rev. Dr. Howard Thurman. Meditations of the Heart.
George Ricker Berry.
John 16:33 - (KJV) -
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Deuteronomy 33:27 KJV
Psalms 23;9:9; 16:1,17: 6-9;46:1;62:7;91:1-4; KJV
Lamentations 3:22-23 KJV
Romans 8:38-39 KJV
I Seek Thy Refuge by Khaliq Muhammad - Issuu
"Intelligence and Impermanence", an H3O Art of Life Show Featuring: Wayne Sebamurti Gentry
"Black History Interrupted: The Maafa"
an H3O Art of Life Show, Featuring: Dr.Asantewaa Oppong Wadie
Ancestor Kelan Phil Cohran. "African Skies".
Earrh, Wind, & Fire
"You Need Devotion"
Ancestor Pharoah Sanders. "The Creator Has a Master Plan"